Romanian state-owned rail infrastructure manager, CFR SA has selected ACCIONA Ingenieria SA-BAICONS Impex SRL consortium for carrying out the feasibility study for the rehabilitation of Craiova-Drobeta Turnu Severin-Caransebes railway section, part of Orient/East-Med Corridor. The total value of the contract is estimated at EUR 9.2 million, of which 85% of the funding available unde CEF and 15% funds from the state budget.
The project objectives are:
i) Modernization of the railway in accordance with the Technical specifications for Interoperability (TSI) and with the foreseen traffic demand for national and international rail passenger and freight transport:
– 25 kV double line electrified
– controlled by ERTMS (ETCS level II + GSM-R) system,
– minimum axle load 22.5 tons / axle
– the possibility of operating 740 m long trains in all stations
– 40 meters long, high platforms in all stations,
– civil works in stations
– travel speeds of 100-120 km / h for freight trains and 120-160 km / h for passenger trains.
ii) Modernisation of the electrification systemon the entire line (in power system 25kV);
iii) Increasing transport capacity
iv) by implementing the project , the railway line will be in accordance with the technical parameters
required by the standards and European legislation in force.