In 2015, NEWAG Capital Group posted record sales revenues amounting to PLN 1.026 billion. NEWAG Capital Group posted a net profit of PLN 64.9 million, while EBITDA amounted to PLN 112.9 million.
Last year, NEWAG signed several significant contracts including, among other:
• Koleje Dolnośląskie for the delivery of five new four-unit Electric Multiple Units (EMUs) including maintenance services. The PLN 78 million contract was implemented in November 2015.
• METROPOLITAN EAD and Siemens – Newag Consortium comprising Siemens A.G. with registered office in Vienna, Siemens EOOD with registered office in Sofia and NEWAG S.A. for the delivery of 20 three-unit metro trains and the traffic control system. An estimated net value of the works in the scope of NEWAG is PLN 158 million. The deadline for implementing the contract is 2018.
• Province of Opole for the delivery of five EMUs with an option for two more EMUs. The contract value in the basic scope (5 EMUs) amounts to PLN 51,3 million net.
• LOTOS Kolej for the delivery of five four-axle GRIFFIN E4DCU-DP locomotives. Under the contract, LOTOS Kolej will lease 5 locomotives and their maintenance services for the period of 7 years which can be extended. The contract also stipulates an option to obtain by LOTOS Kolej further electric locomotives manufactured by NEWAG S.A. at a later date.
• Freightliner PL for the delivery of five 5MW electric locomotives adjusted to pulling freight trains exceeding 4 thousand tonnes. The contract net value is EUR 17.5 million.
FCE (Ferrovia Circumetnea), an Italian Operator commissioned NEWAG S.A. to design and manufacture a unique narrow gauge train called Vulcano to service passenger traffic around Etna. Furthermore, a contract was signed for the delivery of five new EMUs for FSE (Ferrovie del Sud Est) in Bari. NEWAG S.A. is also among short-listed bidders in a pending tender for the delivery of five new EMUs for Palermo. The tender results are expected soon.
“This year is special for us. We are planning both international expansion and focusing on the Polish market. We expect that this year, as many as 7 or 8 major public tenders for the delivery of approx. 100 trains will be announced with deadlines for their implementation scheduled for the years 2017 – 2018. We are also preparing in an intensive way to participate in tenders for delivery of trams for many big cities,” said Zbigniew Konieczek President of the Board of Newag S.A.
In August 2015, a design and engineering centre in Kraków was opened employing nearly 30 designers engineers who implement projects for NEWAG Group. The Centre also has a section focusing on resistance calculations of structures. The Research and Development Department has a new team focusing on vehicle exterior design.
“The above investments have made our Company ready to design its own trains independently, which will undoubtedly enhance the attractiveness of our offer,” said Zbigniew Konieczek, President of the Board.