Romanian public transport operator Oradea Transport Local S.A. (OTL) has presented its investment plan for 2016-2020. OTL’s Director Istvan Csuzi has listed the major railway projects to be undertaken by Oradea Municipality and financed under the Regional Operational Programme 2014-2020:
– tramway line extention to the south (length ~ 8.5 km), Salca depot modernization, Peta automated crossing
– tramway line extention to the west (length ~ 3.5 km), construction of West depot
– Building of Gara CFR intermodal station, the modernization of public transport stations (passenger information systems, GPS monitoring)
– Modernisation of TATRA tramways (minimum 30 units x EUR 300.000)
Tramway transport has a 75% share in Oradea’s public transport market, with over 40 million passengers per year. The local public transport network consists of 5 tramway lines with a length of 71.9 km. In 2014, a number of 68 tramways were in operation. In 2008, OTL purchased 10 new ULF Siemens tramways. In 2013 the company purchased 25 second hand TATRA wagons. The 17 TATRA T4D motor coaches and 8 TATRA B4D trailer wagons are between 25 and 40 year old.
– Upgrading the municipal and metropolitan e-ticketing systems
These projects are also included in the strategic document Oradea Local Development Strategy – Priority Projects 2015-2020. One other major project listed in the document, but not presented yet by OTL, is the tram-train acquisition and the construction of connecting infrastructure to Oradea – Băile Felix railway line.