Russian Government approved the road-map for the development of competition in rail transport. According to the Governmental Order, “the package of measures to promote competition in railway transport includes, inter alia, improving the management model of freight wagons, the development of competition in transport activities, including passenger transport”.
The range of measures approved focus on:
- improvement of technological management models of freight wagons, including the introduction of efficient technology of car fleet management under the conditions of multiplicity of rolling stock operators
- development of competition in transport activities, including the implementation of measures to create local operators;
- development of competition in the travel industry in order to improve the quality and accessibility of transport services;
- modernization of the railway infrastructure, attracting private investments in its development;
- development of a legislative framework for railways security
The government of Russia mentioned that these decisions are linked to the provisions of the Railway Structural Reform Programme, as well as to those in the Target Freight Railway Transportation Market Model Till 2015.
These measures should lead to the achievement of performance benchmarks defined in The Road Map ‘Development of the Competition and Improvement of the Antimonopoly Policy’ (the Road Map) (approved by the Resolution of the Government of the Russian Federation of 28 December 2012 No. 2579-r).