Uzbekistan Railways presented a status report on its locomotive fleet renewal project. The company fleet includes 100 electric locomotives, 242 linehaul locomotives and 258 shunting locomotives.
Currently Uzbekistan Railways is fulfilling the tasks defined of the Presidential Resolution dated 13 March “Uzbekistan Railways locomotive fleet renewal” which provides for the acquisition of more than 20 O’ZEL freight locomotives with participation of China’s Exim Bank.
Last year, 11 O’ZEL modern electric locomotives were added to the company fleet. These locomotives were manufactured by Chinese locomotive builders in cooperation with the Japanese Toshiba according to the specifications presented by Uzbek railway experts. The new locomotive has a number of advantages.
The technical characteristics of O’ZEL locomotives:
– working in mountaineous areas (up to 1800 m above sea level).
– short-term increase in power from 6000 to 7200 kW,
– application of modern IGBT converter units («Toshiba»),
– board CCTV,
– electronic crane for brake control,
– touch-screen monitor (NMI).
As a result of the project, the number of new locomotives in Uzbekistan Railways park has reached 38 units.